A downloadable game
What This Is
The Flora is a meditative structured freeform game for 1-6 players.
In it you will play a long-lived plant, rooted in place, their history and responses to the elements, fauna, their human caretakers and the human-shaped world. The game starts with fledgling Flora growing in our present day, you will feel the marks of human activity, the shifting seasons, and the changing climate as you adapt and grow, and eventually decay and die.
You’ll be answering questions, choosing options from tables, telling or writing stories about the Flora and the different caretakers in the Flora’s life, drawing and updating a map of the Lot on which they live, and drawing the Flora throughout their lifespan.
We hope you will develop a feeling for the Flora as you play.
“In some Native languages the term for plants translates to “'those who take care of us.'”
-Robin Wall Kimmerer, Braiding Sweetgrass: Indigenous Wisdom, Scientific Knowledge, and the Teachings of Plants
What You'll Need
- An hour or more of time.
- One to six players.
- A notebook to record your play for solo players.
- A quiet place to play and access to the outside. If you have neither quiet nor access to the outside, you can close your eyes and listen to nature soundscapes.
- Printouts of these rules and the Flora sheets, a large sheet of blank paper, pencils and erasers, and a timer of some sort.
- Optionally: Buy the paperback edition for $15.00
- For extra Flora Sheets, download and print out the demo "Flora Sheets"
- Optionally: Our Nature Soundscape playlist (also below)
If you are comfortable doing so, share a picture of your Flora sheets, stories of your Caretakers and/or Lot map on social media using #TheFlora hashtag, or share with us at firstname.lastname@example.org. We’d love to see what you’ve created!
In order to download this game you must purchase it at or above the minimum price of $10 USD. You will get access to the following files:
Support this game at or above a special price point to receive something exclusive.
If you are in need and can't afford a copy of the game, help yourself to a community copy of the digital zine. Every sale of the PDF contributes a copy to the pool. Tips in $4 increments over the asking price add 1 copy per $4.
- The Flora Accepted to Meaningful Play Game Exhibition!Sep 26, 2022
- The Flora Now Available in Paperback!Sep 22, 2022
- New Printing Options!Sep 06, 2022
- The Flora Wins an Honorable Mention Award!May 21, 2022
Leave a comment
Log in with itch.io to leave a comment.